Information: Secure packaging options (1.6 mm pore size mesh)
Effective 24 November 2020 to 8 October 2021
To make consignments insect proof and secure, the following packaging options may be used:
- Integral cartons - produce may be packed in integral (fully enclosed) cartons (packages) with boxes having no ventilation holes and lids tightly fixed to the bases.
- Ventilation holes of cartons covered - cartons (packages) with ventilation holes must have the holes covered/sealed with a mesh/screen of no more than 1.6 mm pore size and not less than 0.16 mm strand thickness. Alternatively, the vent holes could be taped over.
- Polythene liners - vented cartons (packages) with sealed polythene liners/bags within are acceptable (folded polythene bags are acceptable).
- Meshed or shrink wrapped pallets - cartons (packages) with vent holes or gaps that are packed on a pallet, must be covered or wrapped with polythene/plastic/foil sheet or mesh/screen of no more than 1.6 mm diameter pore size and not less than 0.16 mm strand thickness.
- Produce transported in sealed container - cartons (packages) with holes as loose boxes or on pallets may be transported in sealed containers. The container must be transported to the inspection point intact.